Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Leroy R.I.P.


Leroy “The Captain” LeBreton
15 March 1995 - 7 July 2009

A significant figure in the climbing world, Leroy passed away this week after a life filled with fun, food and adventure. Having spent a good part of his life at the crag, he was laid to rest in the family backyard, close to the action, and a tribute to him will be established at his favourite crag, PC.

Leroy started going climbing from the moment he became mine. He had many climbing adventures. He was in my backpack, head poking out the top, as I climbed up the 30 metre high and overhanging at the top access rungs at the Gaza Strip (Nowra). He took a massive fall down the steep creek around from PC, bouncing from ledge to ledge, only to walk away unscathed at the bottom, in typical Leroy style. He managed to climb to within a few metres of the top of the crag near the rungs at PC while trying to follow Paul Westwood to the bakery. And, he soloed the first 15 metres of Deceptor, grade 10, at Zigzag in the Mountains when trying to follow Minah up her first big climb.

He was hit in the head with a cricket bat chasing the ball, he had a half tonne block of concrete fall on him, he fell off a cliff at Wave Wall, but he always shook himself off and walked away from it. He dodged a bar-fridge sized block I knocked off while cleaning a new route by centimetres. Nothing ever got him down. He was always just as keen to play, eat and make the most of life.

In his final breaths Leroy asked me to pass on a few thankyous. “Thanks to everyone who took the time to throw a ball, throw a stick, share some lunch or just give me a pat. Thanks to Paul who always brought a custard tart to the crag and left on a rock for me to eat when I felt like it. I could tell he enjoyed seeing me eat it because he always jumped up and down and danced around just as I was licking up the final crumbs. Thanks to Boydo for all the pies (but seriously, vegetarian?). I’m sorry Mike for weeing on your lap in the back seat of the Beetle. It’s been a good life being a crag dog, a family dog and a legend.”

I would like to say thank you to Leroy. He’s been my companion for fourteen years. During my darkest times, he was there for me. No matter what he was loyal, happy and lifted me up. In my most joyful times he was there to share them too. He was the most trustworthy dog to have around children and never said no to a game. He was my training partner; always at the board keeping me company and helping me get me out of bed for early runs. But perhaps most importantly he was an amazing teacher. He taught me how to be good father, before I had children. He taught me about passion, enthusiasm and focusing my energy. He taught me that no matter how bad things may seem, it’s still fun to chase the ball.

1 comment:

scottbaby said...

R.I.P Leroy

i only got to go down to the crag a couple of times with you but you were always happy to be there and the life of the crag, running around to see everyone, and how they were going.

you will be greatly missed!